Global Links’ program in Cuba aims to strengthen the Public Healthcare System by providing post-disaster support primarily to large reference hospitals throughout the country. Global Links first worked in Cuba in 1994.
Featured Project Dates 2019 - 2023
Lives Impacted 966,064
Targeted Regions La Habana, Remedios (Villa Clara), Matanzas
- Disaster recovery support for Hurricanes Gustav and Ike (2008), Hurricane Sandy (2013-2016), Hurricane Matthew (2016-2017), and Hurricane Irma (2017-2018).
- Support for Cuba’s Social Assistance Program targeting seniors and individuals with limited mobility (2015-2017).
- Materials for medical students from Escuela Latinoamericana de Medicina (ELAM), at hospitals throughout the country (2007-2017).
- Coordination of a collaborative visit to Pittsburgh’s Starzl Transplantation Institute by the Pediatric Transplant Team from Cuba leading to new transplant protocols at Hospital Pediátrico William Soler in Havana (2009).
- Provision of specialized medical equipment including: mammography equipment for the National Breast Cancer Screening Program (2004-2005); dialysis machines and supplies for the National Dialysis Program (2003-2008); laboratory equipment and supplies for the Institute of Nephrology (2003-2008).
- Working together with Global Health Partners, the Pan American Health Organization/World Health Organization (PAHO/WHO) and the Ministry of Public Health, Global Links was able to provide millions of syringes and other medical supplies to support the national Covid-19 vaccination campaign (2021)