Program Manager, Volunteer Engagement (FT, exempt)
Organizational Summary: Global Links is a non-profit dedicated to improving health in communities with need. For 30+ years, Global Links has been collaborating with partners to improve health for vulnerable populations by sharing surplus rescued from the US healthcare system to support health programs globally and locally.
Global Links affirms our foundational commitment to diversity, equity, & inclusion. These important themes are at the forefront of our minds and our work and are woven throughout all we do. Respect for all people and the environment guides our mission. We recognize everyone has value and deserves to be included equally. We recognize everyone is our neighbor and we are dedicated to helping all people live with dignity, independence, mobility and in good health. Global Links is an equal opportunity employer and actively seeks diverse candidates.
This position is the lead for Global Links’ volunteer program and reports to the Operations Manager, who ensures all inventory handling, quality and processing protocols are adhered to. The incumbent will lead volunteers and a team of associates, and is a member of the Development (fundraising & communications) team. This team is often the first and main point of contact that volunteers have with the organization. This team is responsible for engaging volunteers while upholding high quality standards in all activities and ensuring every volunteer has a productive and positive experience with us.
Primary duties include coordinating the volunteer schedule, training and managing the department staff and leading volunteer groups in projects. You will work closely to plan service projects and events with our Outreach & Engagement Manager (OEM) who is responsible for recruiting volunteers.
Global Links’ volunteer program is often lauded for the service-learning experience we provide to volunteers from diverse backgrounds – students, faith-based groups, corporate groups, civic associations, seniors, students/adults with physical or developmental disabilities, families, and more. Your role is to ensure quality inventory processing is done efficiently to meet the needs of our programs while also providing a meaningful experience for volunteers.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Coordinating Volunteer Program
● Prepare weekly work plans for volunteer shifts based on prioritized needs of all programs in coordination with the operations manager
● Oversee accessibility and communications in volunteer center including the cafe, lobby and main work areas to effectively engage volunteers and process inventory efficiently
● Coordinate with outreach & engagement manager and devo team on best methods and practices for engaging volunteers during and outside of volunteering activities.
● Track volunteer hours and stats and prepare monthly and yearly reports. Troubleshoot and escalate problems to IT staff as they arise.
● Ensure flow of information on GL core messages, mission, news and impact is disseminated to our volunteers and the staff who work with them directly
● Plan appreciation events, apply for awards for volunteers and ensure a culture of gratitude is present throughout the volunteer program
● Ensure all volunteer packing projects follow standardized instructions to ensure consistency in all product prepared for our partners
Leading a Team
● Supervise 3-5 part-time associates
● Train and direct supervision of volunteer work as related to donation processing, quality standards, and accuracy
● Train and direct supervision of volunteer engagement & cultivation from entry to exit of the center
● Conduct performance evaluations of program associates Volunteer Supervision
● Lead volunteer groups and individuals to sort and pack medical supplies (6-10 hours/week). This includes:
o Setting up projects (45 mins prior to shift start time)
o Having volunteers sign in for their shift
o Making a presentation on our work
o Cultivating relationships with the volunteers
o Ensuring accuracy and quality in volunteers’ work
o Cleaning up after project’s completion
o Informing volunteers of special projects, events, news, etc.
● Maintain safe, clean and orderly environment in sorting, supply, box and work areas
● Other duties as assigned
Required Skills and Abilities:
● Strong understanding of Global Links mission and programs
● Proficiency in or willingness to prioritize learning Google apps
● Self-motivated and able to work well in a team environment
● Effective oral and written communication skills- English fluency required
● Demonstrated ability to communicate, lead, and motivate people with diverse backgrounds, abilities and skill sets
● Strong organizational and time management skills; attention to detail while maintaining focus on strategic goals
● Experience volunteering or supervising staff or volunteers
● Creative and curious thinker with a sense of humor
● Flexibility, adaptability, and problem-solving skills
● Comfort working in a fast-paced environment
● Ability to lift up to 35 lbs. and willingness to do manual work (lift boxes, etc)
● Ability to work on your feet for extended hours
Preferred Skills and Abilities:
● Experience working with diverse populations, including people with differing abilities
● Experience with Salesforce or other customer relationship management software
● Willingness and ability to learn medical terminology as related to position
● Experience in health setting or overseas experience a plus
Compensation: $22- $24 per hour, with a competitive benefits package (including health, dental, vision, life insurance, 401K with company match, paid volunteer time and more) and generous schedule of paid holidays, inclusive work environment and dedicated co-workers.
To apply for this position: Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org